What Should I Do If My Dog Was Eating A Rat?

dog eating a rat

If your dog is eating a rat, you may need to get medical help. 

This is because this type of problem could lead to serious complications. It’s best to take preventative measures for a rodent infestation to never take place near your home but if it happens that your pet eats a mouse or a rat, it is not the end of the world. 

In this article, you will find some information about how to treat such a condition.


If your dog has eaten a rat, you may want to give him some cholecalciferol to prevent further health problems. This substance is found in many rodenticides. It is a powerful rat poison.

Cholecalciferol works by hardening soft tissues, including the heart and kidneys. The resulting hyperphosphatemia and kidney failure can be life threatening.

A study showed that anticoagulant rat poisoning caused 123 cases of canine poisoning. These results suggest that the body’s ability to recycle vitamin K is impaired by ingesting the rodenticide.

Vitamin K1 is used in several clotting factors. When the body does not have enough vitamin K1 to produce these factors, it can lead to internal bleeding. Taking the vitamin is recommended to avoid clotting abnormalities.

Symptoms of rat poisoning in dogs vary depending on the type of poisoning, the amount, and the length of time it took for the dog to consume the poison. Small dogs will react immediately, while large dogs will take days or even weeks to exhibit symptoms.

Signs of rat poison ingestion can include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, a decrease in appetite, and brightly colored stools. In the most severe cases, the poison can cause the dog to die.

In general, it is important to take a sample of vomit and bring it to a veterinarian. They will conduct a biochemistry profile and analyze other body fluids. Depending on the severity of the situation, your vet may recommend taking the dog to the hospital for treatment.

Your pet’s blood will be tested for calcium and phosphorus levels. If these levels are high, you should bring your dog to the ER. An IV treatment will be necessary to lower the phosphorus levels and decrease the calcium levels.

Rat Poison

If your dog has eaten a rat, you may be wondering what to do. It’s important to call a vet as soon as you discover the problem. The poison can have serious effects on your pet’s health, so getting help right away is vital.

Your veterinarian can test your dog’s feces for the presence of rat poison. They can also prescribe medications to treat your dog.


There are several different types of rat poisons, but if your dog or cat has ingested any, it is important to know how to treat it. 

Bromethalin is a neurotoxin, and it works by disrupting oxidative phosphorylation in the mitochondria of the brain cells. This causes the buildup of water in the central nervous system. When this happens, the brain becomes swollen and rigid.

The symptoms of bromethalin poisoning can include vomiting, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, unsteadiness, and generalized muscle tremors. Treatment involves induced vomiting, charcoal, and drugs to lower the swelling of the brain.

Ingestion of large doses of bromethalin can cause death. If your dog eats a lot of rat poison, it is recommended that you call your vet to determine whether or not it is fatal.

Bromethalin is one of the most commonly used rodenticides, and it is also one of the most dangerous. Although it is not considered an anticoagulant, it can cause internal bleeding.

Another type of rat poison, cholecalciferol, has similar effects. Like bromethalin, it can increase calcium levels in an animal’s blood, hardening soft tissues in the heart and kidneys. As a result, the kidneys cannot function properly.

In the United States, the EPA has established a list of rat poisons. Among them are bromethalin, cholecalciferol, and diphacinone. While they can be hazardous to pets, they are also effective, and their use is decreasing.

The best way to prevent your pet from getting into rat poison is to keep it out of reach. However, it is not uncommon for dogs to sniff out and ingest rat bait. You should monitor the bait containers on a regular basis to make sure the bait is not too accessible to your pet.

Clostridium Botulinum

Botulism in dogs is a rare occurrence. Usually, it is caused by eating raw meat from a dead animal. However, this disease can also be caused by spores from a Clostridium botulinum colony.

The spores are generally found in the soil. They are anaerobic and produce a potent toxin that causes paralysis. Symptoms include progressive muscle weakness, difficulty swallowing, and drooping eyelids.

This toxin binds to presynaptic nerve endings and disrupts the parasympathetic system. It is absorbed by the intestine and carried to the blood where it is transported to the muscles. After binding, it interferes with the acetylcholine release by the brain. Eventually, it destroys nerve tissue.

The symptoms of botulism usually occur within 12 to 36 hours after exposure to the toxin. Paralysis of the lungs and heart muscles may be the first sign of infection. Other symptoms include visual impairment and increased respiratory effort.

The type of toxin that causes botulism in animals is different from the toxin that causes the disease in humans. In addition, the course of the disease is different.

When the toxin reaches the body, it binds to the presynaptic nerve endings, causing paralysis. Once this occurs, antitoxin cannot be used to treat the disease. Instead, the disease is treated with supportive care. Such treatment may require hospitalization.

Botulism can be prevented by following good sanitation practices and by using food canning techniques. However, if you have lowered immunity, you should be cautious when handling infected foods.

The best way to protect yourself and your pet from botulism is by not eating raw or decomposed meat. If your pet happens to eat a fresh piece of meat, be sure to take it to the vet as soon as possible.

Strychnine Poisoning

It is a toxic substance that can affect the nervous system and cause death. The symptoms of strychnine poisoning can occur within 15 minutes to two hours. A veterinarian may perform tests on the blood, urine, or a liver biopsy.

The symptoms of strychnine poisoning in dogs include rigid extensions of all four limbs, tremors, and seizures. Most cases are fatal.

Strychnine is a highly toxic rodenticide. The most common domestic animal that is affected is a dog. The most common breeds affected are German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers, and Collies.

Rat baits are usually the source of exposure for dogs. They are often available over the counter. If you suspect that your pet is poisoned, remove the source of the poison and consult with a veterinarian.

To make a tentative diagnosis of strychnine poisoning, a history of possible exposure is typically used. Your veterinarian will test your pet’s blood for the presence of strychnine. He or she will also examine the stomach contents for the presence of strychnine.

Several tissues can be used to confirm the presence of strychnine, but these are less reliable due to the fast absorbed nature of the poison. Because of this, a rapid diagnosis is best made by a veterinarian.

Symptoms of strychnine poisoning in dogs can appear quickly and require emergency veterinary care. However, recovery from the poison can depend on the severity of the exposure and the amount of time that is allowed for treatment.

Depending on the type of poisoning, your veterinarian will recommend treatment to reduce the chances of your pet becoming sick. Treatment can include the use of anticonvulsants, muscle relaxants, or pentobarbital. Using an activated charcoal infusion may help remove the poison from the digestive tract.

Intestinal Worms

Rats are a danger to both humans and pets. They can carry a variety of pathogens. Wild animals and pets may also ingest the eggs and worms that can be found in the feces of infected animals.

Roundworms can be a major cause of intestinal problems for dogs. There are two main types of roundworms that can infect dogs. These include Toxocara canis and Echinococcus species. Both have larvae that enter the dog’s intestines and then burrow into other organs.

Some animals may develop toxocariasis, which is a condition that can cause death. This is because the worms absorb nutrients from the dog’s body.

Dogs are naturally attracted to small prey. If your dog eats a rat, it will have a high chance of developing these parasites. But these can be treated if they are detected early.

You can prevent your dog from getting a roundworm by keeping your home clean. Wash your hands before handling your pet. Also, ensure your dog urinates outside.

You can prevent the spread of worms by cleaning up after your dog and using flea control products. A deworming treatment will kill the worms and keep your dog’s intestinal tract healthy.


The most important thing to do when you suspect your dog has eaten rat or rat poison is to get them to the veterinarian right away. 

Depending on the type and amount of rat poison ingested, they may need to be treated with an antidote or simply monitored closely. It’s best not to wait since some types of rat poison can be fatal. 

If you can’t get to the vet right away, call them and describe your dog’s symptoms so they can provide advice on how to proceed. It’s also important to keep all rat poison out of your home and yard in order to prevent any further incidents. Keeping a close eye on your pup and maintaining a clean environment can go a long way in keeping them safe.

Related Posts